Positions held: (UofM = University of Melbourne)
- 2010-2015 ARC Future Fellow, School of Botany, UofM. Level C (0.8FTE)
- 2002-2009: Research Associate, School of Botany, UofM. Employed on ARC discovery projects.
- 1996-current: Consultant on various modelling / ecological / conservation projects as detailed in publications
- 1992-1995 Tutor, School of Agriculture and Forestry, UofM.
- PhD, School of Botany, The University of Melbourne (2003) (fields: statistics, ecology)
- BAgrSc (Hons), School of Agriculture and Forestry, The University of Melbourne (1977)
- Robust strategies for restoring aquatic and riparian biodiversity ARC LP110100304; Elith, Leathwick, Nicholson, Rutherfurd, Todd&Cant; $350,000; 2011-2014
- Using decision theory to design smart plant surveys ARC DP110101499; Moore, Elith, Rout; $255,000; 2011-2013
- Improved methods for predicting species’ distributions under environmental change ARC FT0991640; Elith; $602,000; 2010-2015
- Robust prediction and decision strategies for managing extinction risks under climate change ARC LP0989537; Wintle, Keith, Kearney, McCarthy, Burgman, Elith, Dr Auld Hutchinson & Hughes; $621,000; 2010-2013
- New spatial analysis methods for improved hazard/risk identification; ACERA; 2006; Elith, Wand, Wintle& Leone; $38,300; 2007
- Threatened species map updates program; DEWHA; $26,000; 2007-08
- Identification and assessment of nationally threatened woodlands: semi-arid woodlands; Environment Australia; Elith, Bidwell; $30,000; 2002-2003
- 2007-current Subject Editor, Ecology (2009-), Biological Invasions (2011-2014), Ecography (2007-2010) & Diversity and Distributions (2013-)
- 2002-current Reviewer for journals detailed below *
- 2002-current Advice to government bodies including Department of Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts, Environment Australia, Atlas of Living Australia, Department of Sustainability and Environment, Victoria; Office for Environment and Heritage NSW
- 1996-current Member, Ecological Society of Australia (1996-), Society of Conservation Biology (2011-)
* Reviewer for journals including Ecography, Journal of Applied Ecology, Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics, Ecology Letters, Ecology, Ecological Applications, Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science, Diversity and Distributions, Biological Conservation, Conservation Biology, Journal of Biogeography, Ecological Modelling, Global Ecology and Biogeography, Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, Journal of Ecology
- Guest lectures and practices for various subjects at the University of Melbourne
- Training students and postgraduate researchers internationally:
- 5 day species distribution modelling courses taught to over 200 students and conservation / ecology professionals at: University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur; University of Queensland; University of Melbourne; ANU Canberra. 2012-2015.
- University of Pavia, Italy, 2011 (2 days of 5-day workshop on species modeling)
- University of Potsdam, Germany, 2007(workshop in modelling with boosted regression trees).
- University of Helsinki, Finland, 2002 (2-day course in habitat modelling);
- University of Queensland, 2013 (5-day course on species modelling)
- University of Melbourne, 2014 (5-day course on species modelling)
Awards since 2000
- Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researcher, 2014 (http://highlycited.com/)
- Thomson Reuters Citation Award for outstanding contribution to research in Biodiversity and Conservation, 2012
- Dean’s award for Excellence in Research, Science; University of Melbourne, 2011.
- Hot paper: Elith et al. 2006 – nominated as a “Hot paper” by Essential Science Indicators, Thomson – May 2007
- Daphne Elliot Bursary, Australian Federation of University Women (2002) ,
- University of Melbourne travel awards (1998, 2002),